Wednesday 23 April 2014

Introduction to Dressing Architecture

Text : Nor Azua Ruslan

[ Dressing Architecture : Colour, Style & Fashion ]
In Relation With Architects and Clothing

Original work submitted to the Manchester School of Architecture for the Bachelor of Architecture dated April 2009. Received a commendation in Summer 2010.

2.0] Introduction
It is quite common, whenever I met people or circle of friends in other profession, they’ll ask what I did for living. When I ended saying that I am in architect profession, that often leaving some of them with a curious smile. Apart from that, some of them try to put on the limelight on me because for many, architect is a glamorous profession. When I asked them, why? It is clearly because they judged me on my appearance, which happened to be the fabric of confidence and the way I carry myself on every other day. I look casual most of my time and there were saying that was cool and that is rare scene to see a professional should look.
Dressing, clothes, garments or outfit are relatively linked with fashion. In other profession like firemen, doctors, nurses, policemen or lawyer, they are identified by clothes. My husband is a bank officer. He once told me that jeans, t-shirts, miniskirts or sneakers are strictly banned in his office. He also mentioned that his employer has a specific dress code; plain, dark trousers, long sleeve shirts and a tie. However, there is no specific dress code for architects and why is that?








       Architect?

FIG.2.1: Doctor’s Suit, Lawyer’s Suit but how about Architect’s Suite?                              
Therefore, I would like to investigate in details about this. Upon my amazement that I got from that public’s feedback, I am interested to study about the way the architect should dress, or to be accurate, is there any specific dress code should the architects have?

There has been quite broad discussion about architecture and clothing; regarding the similarity process of architecture in clothing’s design, as well as fashion in architecture; regarding about trend or fashion’s movement in architecture or about the architects participation in fashion designing.  This meant a lot for architects to be partially involved as a fashion designer, but why architects hardly portray themselves in a clothing that as fashionable as their buildings was? Is it necessary; to be able to design a fashionable building, architects should be able to demonstrate themselves as fashionable too?

No comments:

Post a Comment